A Brief History of Boys

Boys and Education

About davidwallacefleming

David Wallace Fleming is a U.S. writer, living in Austin, Texas. He is the author of the coming-of-age, social media novel GROWING UP WIRED, and the satirical science fiction audiobook, NOT FROM CONCENTRATE.
This entry was posted in nonfiction and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to A Brief History of Boys

1. coffeehousejunkie says:

Not sure if I should laugh… or weep…

• Yeah, I tagged it as humor, but I’m not sure it’s really that funny. Recognizing a problem is probably the first step, however. Thanks for commenting and liking!

• coffeehousejunkie says:

My pleasure.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I’d like to read your book
        Modern Manhood, but don’t have a Kindle. Is there another way to read it?

• Betty says:

quoto nick (soprattutto per i filtri apicplti alle foto, faccio la stessa cosa XD ).ragazzi, ogni tanto provo qualche gioco un po’ vecchiotto ma denso di stile e ne rimango ancora piacevolemnte colpito.shadow of the colossus, non sar questo florilegio di poligoni ma ancora in grado di incantare o quando giocai al primo sient hill, graficamente meno d’mpatto rispetto alla serie di re(che si giovava di dettagliatissimi sfondi prerenderizzari), eppure la suggestione artistica di quel titolo (che trovata geniale quelle “oscillazioni” della realt ) era di gran lunga superiore.giusto per fare un ultimo esmepio, pi attinente ai giorni nostri: quando presi zelda twiligt pricess ( il primo zelda a cui abbia giocato, se non il primo che abbia mai visto), speravo solo in una buona storia dato che sulla rete avevo letto molte critiche sulla componente tecnica.ora sar io che sono abituato male, che non conosco la serie appunto, ma a me sembra bellissimo, pieno di poesia e dettagli.poi, sar che sono vecchio (e, non scherzo, credo che sia davvero una componente che incide in maniera rilevante sul mio metro di valutazione) ma davvero non mi sento di puntare esclusivamente sul realismo visivo per giudicare l’aspetto di un prodotto (lo so, sembra un ossimoro ma vi risparmio la speigazione e altre 40 righe di post). che la forza sia con voi e con lavezzi.

• Certainly! If you are a Nook owner, you can purchase Modern Manhood here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/modern-manhood-david-wallace-fleming/1104758486?ean=2940013205277

If you haven’t gone in for any of those ereaders, Modern Manhood, is only about 40 pages long and it can be purchased as an html version through Smashwords here:

If you don’t feel like copying and pasting, these links are also available from my “Books – Out Now!” tab above.

Thanks for taking an interest in my work! I’d love to hear your reactions and comments. Reviews are always welcome as well, of course.

2. Honie Briggs says:

The first time a encountered this terrible truth was when my son was in first grade. One of his classmates was medicated as a requirement of the school. As a room mother and substitute teacher I was made aware of this child’s med schedule. It wasn’t long before I noticed this was a common practice in many schools. Teacher recommendations are hardly ever ignored and parents are cornered and forced to make tough decisions to medicate their children or have them singled out on a daily basis for behavior problems. Yes, it is almost always boys. The easy way out? Nope, there is no easy way out, but maybe, just maybe, educators/advocates for children who are willing to speak out against this practice and find non-drug alternatives is a start. Your illustration says a lot. Nice post.

• Wow! Great comment. I don’t know if I mentioned this before, but I was also a substitute teacher last school year and this was where my concern over this practice also originated.

• Honie Briggs says:

This has been going on for at least 17 years, because it was 1995 when my son started school. It may have begun earlier, but I believe it really took off around that time. I heard so many parents complain about being constantly called to the school because teachers just couldn’t manage their classrooms and demanded students be medicated. This became a trend that needed some examination, but of course, administrators didn’t have time to look into root causes. Nip it, nip it in the bud! The Barney Fife became the approach of choice and suddenly there was an app for that, twice daily.

• I do hate to rant but here goes… the whole system is messed up. I’ve had doctor friends tell me that they feel the pharmecutical sales reps do things that they feel are unethical, and I’ve had pharmecutical sales rep friends tell me that most people think what they are doing is unethical. Why is it that the teachers drive the used Honda accords and the sexy pharmacetical reps drive the Benzes?

As for fixing the problem, I’m for making recess longer! Whenever these kids misbehave they always take away their excercise and it becomes a vicious cycle.

3. Mason says:

It is thought provoking. Hope others give it serious thought.

Comments are closed.